Be ORIGINAL and Express Your ORIGINALITY!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

[Mid-term] Annisa Dewi Nugrahani - My Inspiration (Short Story)



Cake, candle, balloon
Cheering up in the air
Happiness paints lots of smile
Yes, it’s not for me…
I never feel happy when my birthday is coming. I hate it. Because at the same time my mom passed away, sacrificing her life to let me in into this cruel world. I remember nothing about her. Only the picture of her that I always kept wherever I go.
My dad is the only one who took care of me, who replaced a mother role in my life. He taught me how to survive in this wild world, how to be strong even the storm always comes. One of his line that I always remember – if you fall 9 times, you must stand up 10 times no matter what – makes me alive until today. Fourteen years after my mom’s dead, he opened his heart to a Chinese woman. Then they got married. I was happy about that since I understand his struggle to raise me by himself. Two years later my stepmother gave birth to a twin girl and we moved to Bangkok. And my story begins here…
March 23rd 2016.
I stand up at the place where my real life began, where I found the hardest time of my life, where I met one of the most important people for me. Sriwitayapaknam High School’s board is welcoming me. I see a little tiny boy with messy hair standing in front of the class. I think he gets punished by the old woman with a blue scarf who stands beside him. He reminds me about little me and I see myself there.
“Wake up, Ricky! This is not your home!” said Mrs. Sarah loudly while hit my back. I was forced to open my eyes and saw others eyes on me. Mrs. Sarah gave me a gesture to stand I front of the class. I fell asleep at the class, again. I have to stand here until the class was over. Twenty minutes later the bell was ringing.
“Ouch! Thank God, I’m not standing here too long,” I said to myself while stretched my body. Then I packed my book and ready to go home.
“Ricky, can you please come to my office?” Mrs. Sarah said.
“Sorry Miss, but I...”
“I need to talk to you, now!” she was not giving me a chance to speak, I just followed her to the office then.
She opened the door and let me sit in front of her.
“I know who you truly are, Ricky. You are one of my favorite students. You were active, enthusiastic, and smart. You are on senior year; you are going to graduate less than six months. But what happen with you now, Rick?” she said.
I kept quiet for a moment and had a long sighs then began my story…
“In the last semester of second year of, my father business went down. He had to afford quite much debt to the bank. Until he decided to sell our home then we moved to the smaller one. I also tried to fulfill my personal needs by working at Mr. Jerry’s restaurant. Then my whole life was start changing.”
“The restaurant opened on Tuesday until Sunday from 10 am until 10 pm. I started to work after the school was over, at 1 pm, and then I ran about 2 kilos to get to Mr. Jerry’s restaurant. The restaurant always crowded especially at lunch or dinner time. People kept comes and goes, I often had no time to change my uniform. I did whatever I can; delivered the meals, cleaned the desk and floor, and washed the dishes. If I was lucky, the restaurant closed earlier so I could study. If I was not, I kept working sometimes until midnight. At a couple of months I survived and saved my scores up, but the rest?”
“I used too much energy at the restaurant. I had not much time to study. I also often slept at the class or came late to school because I had lack of sleep. And my score decreased significantly.”
After hearing my condition Mrs. Sarah kept her eyes on me, expressed an upset look.
“I know you’re a good boy. I know you will face the obstacles,” she said with a smile a moment later.
“I’m going to visit your mom and dad tomorrow and talk about your academic,” she added before let me left the office.
The next day, Mrs. Sarah came to my home and talked to my parents. She offered to give me an extra time to study after the class finished. They were thankful about that. Unfortunately, she suggested me to leave Mr. Jerry’s restaurant since I had to focus on my study. So I agreed with that and had extra study with Mrs. Sarah until 3 pm.
On the other hand, I still looked for money. I tried to find a job and chose to be coffee shop attendant. I only worked from Wednesday until Sunday at 4 until 9 pm; it was much easier rather than at the restaurant.
“Thank God, she’s still healthy,” I say thankfully while seeing the woman. “Ah, that scarf…” I can’t continue my words.
March 23rd 2005, Sunday afternoon.
Another bad thing happened in my life. I was going to leave the coffee shop around 9 pm. Then my boss asked me to deliver a mini box to someone named Mr. Andy at train station. “Mr. Andy is waiting at platform 3. He wears black tuxedo and blue tie. Don’t talk to him, just give it,” he stated.  
I agreed since it was near my home and walked in hurry, didn’t want Mr. Andy waited for me. Arrived there, I recognize someone whose looks exactly same with my boss’s description. When I took out the box from my bag, the station’s security approached me. At the same time, the train was coming and I saw Mr. Andy went in.
“Wait Mr. Andy, this is yours. HEI!” I shouted but he didn’t look at me.
“I’m sorry kid, can I see your box?” asked the security.
“Yeah, sure. Actually this belongs to someone, but he just left.” I said innocently.
After checking the box, the security made a call through his handy talkie. Several minutes later, the police came to us and brought me to the police station without asking. As we arrived, the police told me that the box is full of drugs. Shocking, I couldn’t say a word. They suspected me as drug smuggler. I explained every single truth but they didn’t believe it; they thought I was lying and slapped me on the face, not only once nor twice… Then they asked me to call my parents, but I called Mrs. Sarah. I didn’t want my parents knew about this.
A moment later, Mrs. Sarah arrived. Realizing the blood on my cheek, she put her scarf on me then explained everything to the police. After an hour of explaining, the police released me.
Once again, Mrs. Sarah was helping me.
Three months after that accident, the final examination was held. I did my best on it and the result released a month later.
“CONGRATULATIONS! YOU PASSED THE EXAM AND ACCEPT AT BANGKOK UNIVERSITY IN BUSINESS MAJOR.” It was written in the enveloped that labeled with my name, Ricky Klahan. I was too excited then ran to Mrs. Sarah.
“I did it Miss! I passed the test! I’m a college student now!” I said it loudly with a bright smile. She said nothing but smile and swept her hand over my hair and shoulder.
I come with my successful story and tell it to some students at that school. Their eyes look into mine brightly, full of spirit. I see a woman with blue scarf smiling at me from the distance, Mrs. Sarah. I stop the story session and come to her.
“There’s no word to describe how thankful to know you, Mrs., thank you. I just…”
“Don’t mind about that Ricky, your successful is because yourself, you’ve work really hard, you’ve pass the obstacles. I’m the one who want to thank to you, for helping the renovation of our school after that earthquake year ago,” she says and holds my hand.
Yes, I’m that Ricky who suffered so much on my teen age. And I come here to pick Mrs. Sarah up, I ask for one more help from her.
After graduating from college, I opened coffee shops around Bangkok and until today I successfully own 23 shops. I also the founder of Ricky’s Care, a foundation which help children education.
Today, March 23rd 2016.
My 9th school is officially open by Mrs. Sarah. My life saver. My angel. My inspiration.

Cake, candle, balloon
Cheering up in the air
Happiness paints lots of smile
Thank God, it finally belongs to me,
as my greatest birthday present…



1 comment: