Be ORIGINAL and Express Your ORIGINALITY!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

[Mid-term] Debrina Ayu Virgoyanti - Love, Edwin Ave. (Short Story)

by : Debrina Ayu

Hi Mom! How’s life? I want you to know that I’m fine even though you might see different thing from up there. It has been 6 months that you left us and Dad already find someone else. He lives in our house now, having his own family. Dinda and I live in grandma’s house even though there is no grandma, grandpa, or you. Our house is no longer a home for us.

The new semester has just begun. Time flies, huh? I remember the time you brought me a lunchbox for my first day in junior high school. I’m in the 9th grade now. Since you left, Dinda and I walk side by side to go to the school. She will go to Mrs. Triana’s house after school to help cleaning her house. Then, I will do whatever I can do to provide us food on the table.

Don’t be sad, Mom. I meet a new teacher at the beginning of this semester. Her name is Mrs. Farinda. I’ll tell you about her.

She is my new science teacher. She asked me, “Why did you get score 30 out of 100?” Sorry mom, you know I’m never a big fan of science. Then she kept asking me, “Why did you sleep during my class?” or “Why didn’t you attend today class?” – That sort of thing. I am not an extrovert person, I never will. But her determination of asking my condition touched my heart.
I’m never open up my life to her as I did to you. “I have to work in a restaurant, a shop, even a house. I have to have 3 part time jobs in a day”, that was my only answer to her. She didn’t pity me. She didn’t judge me. That’s what I liked about her. Instead, she helped me, mom. Every day after school, she would tutor me in the library. She was nice.
One day, she even invited me to join her family’s lunch at some good restaurant. It was not a glamorous restaurant like you and dad liked to visit. But it was good. The food was good. She even brought me a take away for Dinda. I asked her, “How could I ever pay your kindness?” The next thing I know, she just smiled. She said, “Don’t think about it. You can thank me later when you have achieved your dream”. I felt so grateful to meet someone like her.
Huh, Mom, I just got my mid-term test yesterday. I got 70 out of 100! Aren’t you proud of me? I even danced in the class this morning. This is because Mrs. Farinda. She has helped me sincerely. Ah, I wish you could meet her. Wow, I’ve been writing forever. I’ll be back as soon as possible.

Love,

Edwin Ave

⃝⃝⃝
Jakarta, 22 June 2003
Dear my beloved mom…

I’m sorry I haven’t writing for so long. I miss you mother, more than you know. Things have been difficult lately. I want to share what had happened in school but promise me you won’t get mad.

Do you remember when our drunken neighbors stole our mangos tree? Then he used the money to gamble in the table card? Well, I might have done something a quite similar. I didn’t gambling though. I was the one they would pay to when the wrestling about to start. But as the show went on, the police came and captured me for involving in gambling. Then I realized, no! The police won’t let me go if there were no family member. Everybody that involve in this business was also captured. So I have no one else except for the fact I couldn’t let Dinda knew about this.

One person that passed my head was Mrs. Farinda yet I was too ashamed to ask her help. She had done so much for our family but I might have let her –or you down with this. But she came and asked me, “Why did I involve in gambling?” I couldn’t help it anymore. I just burst into tears. “I want to create a special gift for Dinda. She is in the 6th grade now and will have a birthday soon. My 3 part time jobs are just not enough to buy the materials.”

She bailed me out, Mom. She didn’t yell at me nor got angry with me. She just kept helping me with her angelic intention. But once again, I let her –you down. Somebody stole the restaurant owner’s money and they accused me. I was dragged into a police station. But this time I swear I didn’t steal his money. The only person trusted me was Mrs. Farinda. She (again) bailed me out. I felt terrible with her –and you for continuously trapped in a jail. When my class year was about to end, it turned out that his own son had stole it for drugs. The owner had apologized to me. The best thing I learn from Mrs. Farinda is to forgive and don’t judge people. I forgive him –something that is so difficult for me especially because what Dad has done to us.
Hey, I start my senior high school next month. With the help of Mrs. Farinda, I got a good score and entered a nice school. Aren’t you proud of me, Mom?
Love,

Edwin Ave

⃝⃝⃝
Jakarta, 05 September 2010
Dear my beloved mom…
TODAY IS MY GRADUATION DAY MOM! I just finished mechanical engineering study program – something that I would never think in the million years before. I thought I was not smart enough to understand science but it turned out I was wrong. Mrs. Farinda has changed me a lot I high school until I chose science major in senior high school. By the why, she comes to my graduation. I wish you do too.
Hey, I could make an invention right now. I just gave Dinda a new tv that I made by myself. It used old materials but I could modify it into a sophisticated tv. I like to make new things for her birthday. Anddddd, I’ am nominated for my invention in science fair. I hope I can win it.
Something that I hate could be changed in a matter of seconds that is what you –and Mrs. Farinda surprisingly had said to me.  I never thought to like science. I never considered forgiving my father. I never expected to trust someone. But I do. I do. I do now.
I’m applying to a vehicle company. I’m hoping everything will be better from now. Wish me luck!
Love,

Edwin Ave
⃝⃝⃝

He has become a successful inventor. His hard work has paid off.  Today, before he is awarded as ‘Inventor of the year’, he is sitting next to his teacher and sister. Edwin gives his pieces of diary to his teacher now, after almost 13 years. “Thank you for everything you had done to me. This is only a tiny proof of so many great things you have done for me”. That is his only sentence with a smile before receiving the award.

Mrs. Farinda couldn’t say anything but answering with a smile.


1 comment:

  1. this is nice story with a nice writing technique. Good job, Deb!

    ReplyDelete