Be ORIGINAL and Express Your ORIGINALITY!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Drama: The Three Questions



The Three Questions
by Leo Tolstoy
SCENE 1
One day it occurred to a certain emperor that if he only knew the answers to three questions, he would never stray in any matter.
King           : I’m afraid that my authorization in this kingdom would fail because of my  lack of understanding about those mysteries. (mumbling) The answers, yes the answers is the key.
In his bedroom, he began to puzzled and have no idea except the desire of finding the key, the answers. Then he talked to one of his servant.
King           : I have a thought that I need to know something my servant...
Servant      : I’m very delightful to know what it is, your highness.
King           : I can’t sleep all day and just thinking about the answers of                       the three questions which blow in mind.
Servant      : What are the questions, your highness?
King           : First, I want to know when is the right time to begin everything. I always doubt that I will take the wrong decision by this.
Servant      : The second, your highness?
King           : I want to know who is the right people to listen to, and whom I               should avoid.
Servant      : And the last-
King           : The last is, I want to know what is the most important thing to do at all times.
Servant      : My pleasure to help you, your highness.
The servant arranged time, and gathered all people who live around the castle to know what was the matter happened with the King. The King went out to proclaimed throughout his kingdom about this.
King           : Attention... attention! All people, I’m here talking to you to declare something important. I’m seeking for anyone who can help me find the answers of the three important questions. The first, when is the right time for me to begin everything. The second, who is the right people I should listen and avoid to. The last, what is the most important thing to do at all my times. I will not giving you all any trouble on this, instead of giving you anything you need, anything you want, for anyone who can help me on this problem.
And learned men came to the King, but they all answered his questions differently. They started rival in answering the first question.
Man 1        : I beg your pardon my king, but I have some ideas about your first question.
King           : Please...
Man 1        : The best way to know the right time to doing any action is draw up the advance table of days, months, and years. After that you have to strictly live with it everytime you do something.
King           : How can you be so sure?
Man 1        : I believe that everything well-planed will let us know the right time to do certain things.
Man 2        : Sorry for interrupting, your majesty. (Then talk to man 1) I guess your idea is full of inadequacy. It is impossible to decide beforehand the right time for every action.
King           : Ah, the brave one. Why could you say that it is impossible?
Man 2        : Thank you for the trust, your majesty. It seemed impossible, because we better fo always attend to all that is going on, and then do what is the most needful to do.
Man 3         : Nonsense! However attentive the King might be to what is going on, it will become overwhelmed to one man to decide correctly when is the right time for every action.
Man 2        : How could you-
Man 3        : One man such a King need a man to manage all of them. Like a council of wise man, who would help our King fix the proper time for everything.
Man 4        : Excuse me, but not all things could be handled by a Council, because there are sort of things happened and they could not wait to be laid before a Council. There must be one man, one that must know everything beforehand what is going to happen.
King           : I don’t get it. What do you mean by that?
Man  4       : There must be one man who can protect you from anything that will happen in the future, and only magicians can do that. One must consult to them, my honored King.
King           : Oh really? Is that all you could offer? Seemed so shallow. Now I want to know the answers of the second question. Please, I beg you all to think about anything that you want to say. Think deeply and avoid unecesessary statements. Who is the right people I should listen and avoid to?
Man 5        : Your honored, may I?
King           : Ahhh, the big one who want to think deeply. It is your turn.
Man 5        : The answer is of course you have to believe the people whom the King most needed is his councillors.
Man 6        : How about the priests?
Man 7        : No, it supposed to be a doctor.
Man 8        : Nothing better than the warriors, your majesty.
King           : You three should have learn about the attitude.The last, what is the most important thing to do at all my times?
Man 9        : The most important thing to do at all your times my King, is learning about science. After that, you can applied your knowledge in everyday life.
Man 10      : Your highness, let me give you some advice. I think it would be amazing if you learn about warfare. You are a King and if you enhance your knowledge about warfare, you can conquer any kingdom you want. Moreover, your Kingdom will become more powerful.
Man 11      : But that will become useless if our King does not learn about the religion first.  I beg your pardon my King.
King           : I want something meaningful! Something that will last in my life and give a value to live. I think your answers will never be my consideration.
Still wishing to find the right answers to his questions, he decided to consult a hermit, widely renowned for his wisdom.
King           : I want to go to his house to meet him. He lives in a wood that he never quitted. All  my soldiers, prepare me a horse and a simple clothes. I won’t cause any trouble there if he know me as a King if I dressed up like this.


SCENE 2
So the king put on simple clothes, and before reaching hermit’s cell, he dismounted from his horse, and left his bodyguards behind. When the king approached, he was digging the ground in front of his hut. The hermit was frail and week
King           : Nothing better for such a man instead of work hard doing something useful, is not it?
Hermit        : (seeing the King) Oh, there is someone. Welcome to my dirty poor hut. (smiled, and continue digging)
The hermit was frail and week, and everytime his spade into the ground and turn a little earth, he breath heavilly.
King           : (went up to him and said;) I have come to you, wise hermit, to ask you to answer three questions: How can I learn to do the right thing at the right time? Who are the people I most need, and to whom should I, therefore, pay more attention than to the rest?
And, what affairs are the most important, and need my first attention?
Hermit        : (listened to the King, but answered nothing. He just spat
on his hand and recommenced digging
).
King           : You are tired, let me take the spade and work a while for you.
Hermit        : Thanks! (giving the spade to the King, he sat down on the ground).
It already late in the night and the King still working on digging.
Hermit        : I’ll take you a bed for rest.
King           : How could I rest? You did not answer my question. Please let me repeat to you man, do you have any idea about how can I learn to do the right thing at the right time? Who are the people I most need, and to whom should I pay more attention than to the rest?
And, what are the most important thing to do at all times?
Hermit        : (again gave no answer, but rose, stretched out his hand for the spade) Now rest awhile-and let me work a bit.
King           : (did not give him the spade, and continued to dig. One hour passed, and another) I came to you, wise man, for an answer to my questions. If you can give me none, tell me so, and I will return home.
Hermit        : (still did not answer, and saw a man) Here comes some one running,let us see who it is.
The King turned round, and saw a bearded man come running out of the wood. The man held his hands pressed against his stomach, and blood was flowing from under them. When he reached the King, he fell fainting on the ground moaning feebly.
Hermit        : Let me unfastened his clothes..
King           : Oh God, a large wound in his stomach! (washed it as best he could, and bandaged it with his handkerchief and with a towel the hermit had).
Hermit        : Oh the blood won’t stop flowing...
King           : I’ll take care of it (again and again removed the bandage soaked with warm blood, and washed and rebandaged the wound).
The King, with the hermit's help, carried the wounded man into the hut and laid him on the bed.
Hermit        : Please rest to get you recover.
Bearded man       : Thank you very much for your hospitality.
Then the bearded man awoke in the morning.
Bearded man: Forgive me! (when he saw that the King was awake and was looking at him)
King           : I do not know you, and have nothing to forgive you for.
Bearded man: You do not know me, but I know you. I am that enemy of yours who swore to revenge himself on you, because you executed his brother and seized his property. I knew you had gone alone to see the hermit, and I resolved to kill you on your way back. But the day passed and you did not return. So I came out from my ambush to find you, and I came upon your bodyguard, and they recognized me, and wounded me. I escaped from them, but should have bled to death had you not dressed my wound. I wished to kill you, and you have saved my life. Now, if I live, and if you wish it, I will serve you as your most faithful slave, and will bid my sons do the same. Forgive me!
King           : It would be fine. Calm yourself, it would be fine for me, my friend. I’ll help you by sending my servants and my own physician to attend you, and I promise to restore your property.
Having taken leave of the wounded man, the King went out into the porch and looked around for the hermit. Before going away he wished once more to beg an answer to the questions he had put.
King           : For the last time, I pray you to answer my questions, wise man.
Hermit        : You have already been answered! (still crouching on his thin legs, and looking up at the King, who stood before him).
King           : How answered? What do you mean?
Hermit        : Don’t you see, If you had not pitied my weakness yesterday, and had not dug those beds for me, but had gone your way, that man would have attacked you, and you would have repented of not having stayed with me. So the most important time was when you were digging the beds; and I was the most important man; and to do me good was your most important business. Afterwards when that man ran to us, the most important time was when you were attending to him, for if you had not bound up his wounds he would have died without having made peace with you. So he was the most important man, and what you did for him was your most important business. Remember then: there is only one time that is important--
Now! It is the most important time because it is the only time when we have any power. The most necessary man is he with whom you are, for no man knows whether he will ever have dealings with any one else: and the most important affair is, to do him good, because for that purpose alone was man sent into this life!

No comments:

Post a Comment