Be ORIGINAL and Express Your ORIGINALITY!

Saturday, April 2, 2016

Drama: The Necklace


By: Ajeng Ratna Sari

Making a Play from Short Story “The Necklace”

Madame Loisel was born beautiful, rather than using her beauty to marry a wealthy man, she preferred to marry her husband who was just a little clerk. She lived with her husband in poverty. There was nothing she could expect from her husband, she even did not have good dress or jewelry. She never felt happy with her marriage although her husband always tried to make her happy.
                
In a sunday afternoon, after lunch, Madame Loisel’s husband wanted to give her a surprise.

Monsieur Loisel: Darling, I have a surprise for you. I got an invitation to a party on Monday evening, January 18. It would be nice if you could attend that party since you never go out to a party.

Madame Loisel: what do you want me to do with that?

Monsieur Loisel: what happen darling? I thought it would be good for you. It’s hard to get an invitation  to that party and i was trying to get for you.

Madame Loisel: Just think I don’t have proper dress to attend that party, I’ve got no beautiful dress. You want to make me feel that I’m the ugliest lady in the party?

Monsieur Loisel: Well.. darling you have a nice dress which you wore to an opera. I think that is nice dress and proper for you to attend this party.

Madame Loisel: just give that invitation to one of your friends.

Monsieur Loisel: I want you to attend the party darling, how much money do you need for a proper dress?

Madame Loisel was thinking the appropriate price for a dress so that her husband would not ignore to give.

Madame Loisel: I need 50 dollars for a proper dress.

Monsieur Loisel: Alright I will give you 50 dollars , but find a good dress which you can wear to other occasions.

Madame Loisel then bought the dress, but She was still sad.

Madame Loisel: I think I will not attend the party darling, I have no any jewelry, people there will think that I’m poor, maybe I’d better stay at home.

Monsieur Loisel:  What’s wrong with you? Just buy flowers to make you more beautiful, it costs much less than a jewelry.

Madame Loisel: what? Flowers? People there will absolutely think that I should not be in the party.

Monsieur Loisel:  You have a friend named madame Forestier , she is rich, just borrow a jewelry from her.

Madame Losiel: yess.. that is amazing idea, I will borrow from her.

Madame Loisel went to Madame Forestier’s house and asked whether she could borrow one of her jewelries.

Madame Loisel: I come here to ask a favor from you, would you mind to help me?

Madame Forestier: What can I do for you?

Madame Loisel: I’m invited to attend to a party but I have no jewelry, may I borrow on one of your jewelries?

Madame Forestier: Yes..sure, just wait I’ll bring some so you ca choose what you like.

Madame Loisel: I want to borrow this diamond necklace, it’s really beautiful, may I borrow this?

Madame Forestier: yes, sure (giving thediamond neckale to Madame Loisel).

Madame Loisel: thank you, I will return it back directly after the party.

Madame Forestier: Don’t worry Mathilde.

Madame Loisel then went home.

Finally, came the day of the party, Madame Loisel was full of happiness. Wearing her new dress and a diamond nacklace, she was successful to steal everyone’s eyes in the party. She was the prettiest of all other women. All men in the party were keen to ask her name and waltz with her.

A young man: (coming closer to Madame Loisel). It’s the first time in my life to see a very gorgeous creature. May I know your name lady?

Madame Loisel:  You are just too much sir, well...my name is Mathilde.

A young man: That is really a sweet name. Would you mind if we dance?

Madame Loisel: (with charming smile). Thank you, no, it’s a pleasure.

A young man: (Holding Mathilde’s hands and started to dance). Do you know? You have such a charming smile and the diamond necklace really suits you.

Madame Loisel: I feel really happy and confident with this diamond necklace.

As the music changed Madame Loisel asked permission from the young man to end the dance. She then took a glass of wine, started to talk to an old lady next to her.

The old lady: You’ve got a perfect dress and that diamond necklace really looks beautiful. Where did you buy that necklace? I never saw one like that before.

Madame Loisel: Thank you... (answering with smile and hesitation of the words she should say as the necklace was not really hers).

The old lady: Do you live around here?

Madame Loisel: No, I live far from here. I attend this party because of my husband’s request.

The old lady: I think your husband is really nice. It’s even hard to get an invitation to attend this party. Well..enjoy the party, nice talking to you.

Madame Loisel: Nice talking to you too (answered Madame loisel with a lot of happiness that she could not hide from her face).

In far distance there was an old man watching Madame Loisel. He secretly admired her beauty and asked a waitress to give her a letter saying “Hi, beautiful rose”. Madame Loisel then received the letter and opened it. She could not hide her pride and happiness of receiving those admiring words in the letter.

The old man: I’m the one who sent that to you. I adore your magnificent charm. You look really pretty lady.

Madame Loisel: Those words are sweet and I appreciate your praise.

The old man: Do you mind if we dance together?

Madame loisel: (fellt full of pride). No, it’s fine, I mean that would be nice.

The old man: I’m fascinated knowing that you are not only beautiful but you are also good in dancing.

Madame Loisel: well..it’s nothing sir, many ladies can dance, nothing special.

The old man: But you are special.

Madame Loisel danced madly without thinking anything else. She was drunk with pleasure and pride. Madame Loisel went home from the party at 4 in the morning, yes it was so late for a party but outside her husband had been waiting for her to ensure that his wife would come home safely.

Monsieur Loisel put garments on Madame Loisel’s shoulders.

Monsieur Loisel: wait darling, I’ll get a cab for us so you won’t get cold.

Madame Loisel did not care what her husband said to her.

Madame Loisel: Hurry up ! I don’t want anyone seeing me with these garments.

They both tried to get a cab but they hardly got it, after some time they got a cab and entered it.
Arrived at home.

Madame Loisel: (looking herself in the mirror), where is the necklace? Oh god ! I lost the necklace.

Monsieur Loisel: what happens sweetheart? (rushing to his wife).

Madame  Loisel: I lost the necklace, what should I do ?

Monsieur Loisel: where did you put it last time ?

Madame Loisel: I wore it I remember it well.

Monsieur Loisel: If the necklace fell down, it surely would make a sound. I will check along the way (getting out from the house in panic).

Monsieur Loisel did not find the neckale and came into the house again.

Monsieur Loisel: I didn’t find the neckale darling.

Madame Loisel : That necklace is Madame Forestier’s, what should I do? (crying).

Monsieur Loisel: You should write letter to her that you will return the neckale late. Tomorrow we will check the price of the similar necklace.

The next day they came to a jewelry shop.

Madame Loisel: The necklace has diamond on it (giving the sketch of the neckale to the shop keeper), how much does it cost?

The shop keeper: It cost 5000 dollars.

Madame loisel: What? 5000 dollars? It’s so expensive, where I get that much money?

Monsieur Loisel: I think we should work hard to save the money to buy for it. You cannot come to  Madame Forestier until you get the necklace back.

Madame Loisel: yes darling you are right Madame Forestier will think that I stole her neckale if I cannot turn it back.

Day by day Monsieur and Madame Loisel worked hard to pay for the necklace. Finally, after 10 years of working hard they could buy the similar necklace. Madame Loisel decided to meet Forestier and return the necklace.

Madame Loisel: Do you remember that you did a favor for me 10 years ago?

Madame Forestier: what kind of favor?

Madame Loisel: You lent me your diamond necklace.

Madame Forestier: Oh yes, the diamond necklace, It’s been long time ago.

Madame Loisel: yes, I’m really sorry for breaking my promise that I would return it directly after the party.

Madame Forestier: Why you never returned it?

Madame Loisel: sorry, actually I lost your necklace. That time I was so confused to explain to you, I was afraid that you would think I stole your necklace. Now I have the necklace, I spent 10 years to get this necklace, I want to return it to you.

Madame Forestier: (holding Madame Loisel’s hands) Look Mathilde you don’t need to return the necklace because my neckale was imitation, you should have told me that time that you lost it, If you told me at least I could understand.

Madame Loisel then fell into a deep regret for what happened to her.




















No comments:

Post a Comment