Be ORIGINAL and Express Your ORIGINALITY!

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

A Classic Young Man Living in the Modern World

A Classic Young Man Living in the Modern World
By Farhan Syafiq


Raditya Rahman Mulyana
He is noticeable, from the way he dresses, the way he walks, and the way he talks. One could tell that he looked like a British man from Victorian era. He may be looked somewhat classic, but he managed to bring his style into this modern world making him a unique person.

The name of this person is Raditya Rahman Mulyana or Radit for short. He lives in a tranquil residential area on East Jakarta. Right now he is studying at English Literature of State University of Jakarta. In the class he is known to speak English in a somewhat British accent and he is also known for his taste of old style especially on music.

Sometimes he likes to say “ogut” when referring to himself and dress like someone from 90s. Ogut is an old Indonesian slang word that means me and rarely used by people nowadays. This word combined with how he dressed, gives him a classic aura, but somehow he makes it fit in this modern world.

“I like old culture, because I can be myself and it makes me different from the others.” said Radit.
His taste for old style also reflected on his taste for music. He has 2748 songs in his cellphone both Indonesian and foreign songs. Some of the songs are modern songs but most of them are songs from the 70s to the 90s. He started to hear music from elementary school, and his most favorite song is Lost in space by Lighthouse Family.

“I started to hear music since I was at elementary school.” Radit said while reminiscing.“I heard old songs because it is more pleasurable to my ears. These songs took my interest, that’s why I downloaded them. But that doesn’t mean new songs are not good, I just prefer to hear the old one”
Radit has his own opinion about old songs and new songs.

“Different generation means that the culture itself is also different. If we can see it, the music style is changing once every 10 years, that’s why it is called 70s, 80s and so on, well at least that’s my opinion.” explained Radit.

“But the most prominent changes was on 1990s and 2000, when people started to use computer and auto tune to edit some famous songs like R&B and Beat.” said Radit. “Personally, I don’t like songs with too much beats because it hurts my ears and make my head goes dizzy. But right now I try to follow the times but I can’t hear music with loud volume.” said Radit.

That is Radit for his classmate. He manages to fit old music and old style into this modern world, where most people think those things are out of date or ancient. He may be looks classic, but he also looks cool at the same time.


“As long as the time goes on changes always happen, so let it flow like water.”

1 comment:

  1. It's very nice writing, Farhan :) I know who Radit really is then :D

    ReplyDelete