Be ORIGINAL and Express Your ORIGINALITY!

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Life Goes On


By: Rizki Sulistya


I looked at the sky. A sky full of dreams, a sky full of hopes. As I look up, I remember those days. I was not the typical rich boy who goes around the school showing off their new stuff. I was far from that. My high school days were full of pity and misery. I lived alone in a world so cruel that you can’t even think of other for just a second, you just have to think about yourself.

I am 5 foot 7 inches tall, pretty tall for boys around my age. At least that’s what I’m most proud of, being tall. I grew up in an orphanage. No one knows how I ended up in an orphanage, some says my parents threw me away because they don’t have money to raise me other says my parents died so I ended up here. Anyways, I never wanted to know how I ended up here, just knowing the fact that I’m alive makes me happy.

“Edwin! Dinner is ready!!” Shouted a little girl.

“I’ll be right there Eriiin!” Said Edwin.

That’s my little sister, Erin. She means the world to me. We are not related in anything but I just love her so much, maybe because we grew up together and we are together twenty four seven. We depended on each other a lot. I was there when she needed a shoulder to cry on and she was there when I needed a source of happiness. She’s just so fun to be around with, even though she can be a little annoying sometimes.

“How was school?” I asked Erin.

“School was as usual” Said Erin uninterested while playing with her food.

Erin has been acting a little weird lately. She’s not her usual bright self. I’ve asked her several times but she never wanted to talk about it. She just sulking it in by herself. I started to get worried. Every day after I finished my part time job selling noodles, I decided to follow her everywhere she went until I found out what has been bugging her these days. I found out that she has been getting picked on by her school friends for being poor and not having parents. Every day I saw her suffering by herself. I tried to approach but every time I tried to talk to her she got really angry to the point she’ll hate me forever if I keep bugging her.

“Hey, are you okay? Talk to me…” I asked Erin worriedly.

“Go away Edwin! Unless you could give me a parent, a mom or a dad and money then stay, otherwise please mind your own business!” Said Erin annoyed.

“Hey! If it is money that you want, I’ll get it for you… tons of them, I promised! We got each other’s back remember? We are one of the few lucky people to be alive today. There are more unlucky people out there living in the street! We should always be grateful okay?” I said.

“I’m sorry Edwin!” Cried Erin.

“The next time your friend is making fun of you for not having a parent, tell them that at least you have a really cool, handsome and tall brother that is ready to jump for you in case there is a grenade…” I said jokingly.

She then ran and hugged me tightly and we both laugh out loud while trying to catch our breath from crying and laughing at the same time. We shared one of the sweetest moments of our live. From that moment I realized Erin is just a fragile little girl that needs to be protected at all cost. I promised to myself I will work hard to make money for her.

Every day after school I worked hard selling noodles until late at night. But all those money I made doesn’t seem to be enough. So I decided to sell pirated DVDs’ on the weekend. I’d do anything as long as my little sister is happy. The businesses were going really great. Everything was going according to the plan until one day it just started to fall apart all at once. My sister decided to end her life. She left me a letter next to her frozen body.

Dear Edwin,

I’m sorry I left without saying goodbye. I don’t know why I decided on this path, but this is the easiest path to take. I’ve been having a really hard time and I know you are too. It was really hard on me to see you suffer for the things I’ve done. I’ve realized money isn’t going to solve anything. It was great at first but I was just getting more lonely and lonely each time and with you working all the time, I don’t think it’s going to solve anything. I’m only in the way for you to live your life the right way. That’s why I took this path, everything is solved now and I don’t want you to suffer anymore, so please live your life to the fullest. I am now in the brightest place high up above. I hope you don’t hate me too much. Even though our place is different now, we will still be together forever. I love you Edwin, my dearest brother.

Love,

Erin

As I read the letter my heart shattered into pieces. I fell to my knees, crying as hard as I could. The people started to gather in the room. They pulled me out of the way but I don’t want to. They tried to lift me up but I pushed them away. I hugged my sister’s frozen body for the last time. I hugged her tightly while screaming my lungs out.

“How could you do this to me?! I thought we agree, we’ll go through this life side by side?!” I cried loudly.

Two months have passed since the day my sister left me. I live my life like the usual, boring life, trying to balance out between school and work. My life has become more depressing after my sister is gone. I barely went to school. For me, working is like the only thing I could do to get my mind off of my sister.

I got called out by teachers a lot for having bad grades. This time was worse. Ms. Lillo even called me to her office to talk about how I failed my English test really badly.

“What happened Edwin? This is the lowest grade you got by far” Asked Ms. Lillo concerned.

“I’m just so tired all the time Ms. Lillo. I can’t seem to get her out of my mind. Everything I do is just reminded me more and more of her” I answered while trying to held back my tears.

Ms. Lillo seems the only person to know that my life has been going downhill ever since Erin is gone. She showed me concern and I feel grateful for that. She told me to have courage and that life must goes on. She promised me to help me get back up and get my life back.

Weeks have passed and I started to get my life back only until I got caught selling pirated DVDs’ by the police and was thrown to jail for months. I was so embarrassed to face Ms. Lillo that I promised myself not to meet her until I become successful.

Today, March 29th 2016 marked the 5th anniversary of my noodle restaurant. I now owned few of noodle restaurants that are placed all over the country. Not trying to brag or anything but I can confidently say that now I’ve become someone, a person. Too bad Erin couldn’t taste my hard work over the last few years.

I am now on my way to visit Ms. Lillo after so long. I promised myself to visit her after I become successful. I don’t know if she’ll remember me but I still remember her vividly. I remember she was the only person that showed me concern when nobody else was. She was the one that told me “people come and go but life goes on and so are you, don’t stay in the past, live for the future.” From there and on I’ve lived my life to the fullest. And there she is, standing across the room, the person I admired smiling like I am her most favorite person on earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment