Be ORIGINAL and Express Your ORIGINALITY!

Sunday, March 27, 2016

15 Years Later

Jason Alexander Peterson
September 13, 2012
I stopped my car at the parking lot and looked around as I got out of my car. “Not much changing of this school,” I thought. The football field was almost remained the same, only the hurdles that changed to the new one. The bicycle parking lot is getting more lot. The memories about this place were still fresh, as if they just happened yesterday. I still can hear my friends’ voices in my mind as I walked through the school corridor, heading right to the most memorable place of this school to me, classroom 3-E.
As I walked through the hall to the teacher’s office, I smiled. I still remember my days in this school, especially in 1997. It was the most depressing and memorable moment in my life. I kept remembering what I’d been through that year while entering the teacher’s office.
“Mr. Peterson, have a seat please.”
A very familiar face welcomed me, smiling. Mrs. Carter.

Sophie Elizabeth Carter
March 17, 1997
The mid-term week had just finished. Today I had to give all the test paper back to my students. But there’s something that makes me worried. One of my students, Jace Peterson, never gets good scores this semester. I often caught him sleeping in the class and he seemed tired all the time. I wondered what happened to him. So when I gave his test paper back, which got bad mark, I told him to meet me after class in my office.
5p.m., he knocked my office’s door. After I let him sit, I started asking him. “Jace, what happened to you? Your scores are decreasing. You always get good scores, and I know you’re a brilliant student. But not this semester. What happened?” I asked.
Jace wasn’t able to see me in the eye. He didn’t answer. “Jace, you can tell me anything. Is there any problem? Maybe I can help you.” I said, tried to make him say something.
He started to rise his face, “Mrs. Carter, actually I’m very tired. After my parents passed away, I have to work after school in a diner for my sister and I.” he explained, still couldn’t be able to see me in the eye. I got shocked. I knew that his parents just passed away 2 months ago, but I didn’t know that he had to work. “I work until midnight, 6 days a week, and that’s why I always oversleep in the class. I can’t even have time to study because I have to take care of my sister while working.” He said.
He never showed any signs of having trouble. I had to hold my tears when I heard that. It felt like… the picture of him, taking orders from the diner’s customers and at the same time feeding his sister, sliced my heart into pieces. I can’t imagine he had to work, being the head of the family, and raised his sister and himself.
“I know you have to do the job, but you also have to pay attention to your study.” I said. “I will help you to pass the exam. That’s the only way to help you to get better job, since you have to work. Meet me after class on 4.30p.m. I’ll give you extra lesson in the library, everyday. Only two hours, then you can go to the diner. Can you do that?” I knew I couldn’t help him financially, but at least I can do something to help him academically.
Jace’s eyes were wide open of surprise. “Of course I can, Mrs. Carter. Thank you for your help.” He smiled of gratitude and soon left my office. He had to go to the diner.

April 24, 1997
I decided to ask Jace and his sister, Bianca, to have dinner with my husband and I. I asked him to take a day-off from the diner. “How’s your work, Jace?” my husband, Xavier, asked him while waiting for our meals. “Quite good, Mr. Carter. I asked 2 days-off a week to prepare the final exam.” Jace said. “Well, you better study from now, Jace. The final exam will determine your future. I really, really hope that you will do your best on the final exam. You still have three months to and I will help you to prepare for it.” I said to Jace. He just smiled and I could see from his eyes that he is excited and full of hope. And I could see that he will pass the exam easily.

May 19, 1997
I couldn’t believe it! Jace got caught in a gambling arena nearby the market! Someone called me right after I got back into my office. “Mrs. Carter, I’m Officer Bones. I’d like to tell you that one of your students, Jason Alexander Peterson, got caught red handed gambling nearby the market. Could you please come to the police station?” I hung up the phone and rushed to the police station. I couldn’t believe it. Why should he gamble? I mean, he has a job. It may not be enough to pay his sister’s and his school fee, but at least he didn’t have to gamble to raise money. So many questions rushed in my head and made me dizzy. Once again, I got worried of him.
As I arrived at the police station, I rushed to him as fast as I can. He sat on the chair. Again, he couldn’t look me in the eyes. I sat right in front of him, “Jace, what happened? You better tell me the full story.” I asked him, sharply. He remained silence. “Jace, answer me!” I shouted in frustration and madness at the same time.
“Mrs. Carter, I’m really sorry… I’m frustrated. Bianca is hospitalized and I need money. I wanted to borrow some money from my neighbor but he can’t. So he suggested me to gamble. He said it is the fastest way to get money. Then… I just got caught.” Jace explained, and suddenly he burst into tears. “I’m really sorry, Mrs. Carter. I’m sorry…”
I couldn’t say anything. I got disappointed. My brilliant student had to go to the jail. “I don’t know what should I say, Jace. You’ve disappointed me… I still want you to finish your study.” I said. I was holding my tears. I couldn’t cry in front of him. I had to be strong.
“I know it’s my fault. I know I have to be jailed, and I’m okay with that. But please, take care of Bianca. No one is able to take care of her while I’m here. Please…” Jace begged to me, tears streamed on his face.
I couldn’t stand it. What can I do now?

May 23, 1997
Bianca just got home from the hospital yesterday. And Jace… I’m still working on bailing him out the jail. I’ve been telling the principal Jace’s condition. I’ve asked him to help to bail Jace out, and he said he will try. The national exam is only two weeks from now. If I can bail him out, he has to work so hard on the national exam preparation. Not only him, but also I have to work hard for the national exam. It is MY responsibility to help my students pass the national exam. In this case, I concern A LOT to Jace. He IS everyone’s concern right now. He gets a lot of support from other students and teachers. We really hope he can go out from the jail and take the exam.

Jason Alexander Peterson
September 13, 2012
Mrs. Carter, she didn’t change much. Only her hair turned grey and some wrinkles on her eyes. But she still had the same warm gaze in her eyes. She still had the same warm smile.
“Mrs. Carter, I’m so glad to see you again.” I said. “I want to say thank you for all you had done for me. You had helped to bail me out the jail; you had helped me passed the exam with the best scores.”
“I’m glad to see you again, Jace. It’s been 15 years since your national exam, right? I’m so proud of you, seeing you being successful now.” Mrs. Carter said, smiling and bearing joyful tears in her eyes.
We talked a lot that day. I told her about my business. Now I have my own diner, managed together with Bianca. I told her now I have a project to build a school for orphans, ‘Sophie Carter Institute’. I dedicated the school for her. Without her helped, I wouldn’t be able to be like right now. Without her, I would be an orphan, worked in a diner 6 days a week for me and Bianca, and had no chance in getting higher education. For me, Mrs. Carter is a hero.


Vidiarsi

1 comment:

  1. Voila..! It's very nice. The story has a good narration technique. Yet, you can explore the teacher's feeling deeper, so that the reader might have chatarsis while reading the story. Thank u.

    ReplyDelete